MASTER CLASS “TERRESTRIALLY-DERIVED FOSSIL PALYNOFLORA: SUBSURFACE APPLICATIONS TO STRATIGRAPHY AND MODELING”
July 16-20, 2018 Florence, Italy
The Significant Aims of this Class will be:
- To provide instruction on basic pollen/spore/algal taxonomy as an aid in identifying and classifying varied terrestrially-derived palynoloflora;
- To provide a general background into terrestrial palynomorph morphology, taxonomy, chronostratigraphy, paleoecology and paleoclimate through the Phanerozoic;
- To provide case studies of standard and innovative Industrial applications of terrestrially-derived pollen/spore/algae to subsurface problem solving, including calibration to sequence stratigraphic modeling (systems tracts): Case studies include those from the Middle East (Paleozoic), Southeast Asia (Neogene), Offshore Nigeria (Neogene) and the Americas/Europe (Cenozoic).
The Course Outline will include but not be limited to:
- General pollen/spore morphology and taxonomy;
- Concepts and applications of pollen/spore/algae chronostratigraphy and paleoecology;
- Paleozoic spore chronostratigraphy and paleoecology, with special focus on the Middle East;
- Mesozoic spore/pollen chronostratigraphy and paleoecology, with focus on Australia, Northwest Europe, and North America;
- Cenozoic pollen chronostratigraphy and paleoecology, with focus on North and South America;
- Neogene pollen chronostratigraphy and paleoecology, with focus on West Africa and Southeast Asia;
- Quaternary/Holocene palynostratigraphy and paleoecology, from varied localities.
Additionally, each topic of the Course Outline will be supplemented with workshops at the microscope investigating varied palynoflora, sitting alongside the experts. Course Instructors who have confirmed their participation at this time include: Adele Bertini, Thomas Demchuk, Timme Donders, Guy Harrington, Carlos Jaramillo, Sofie Lindstrom, Robert Morley, David Pocknall, Merceded Pramparo, Mike Stephenson, Jim Riding, Paul Strother, and Roel Verreusel.
Maximum enrollment to the class will be 30. Course fees will be 300€ (Students) and 600€ (Consultants/Academics/Industry). Reasonable accommodations are currently being arranged at a Hotel near the Course venue. Stay tuned for additional information regarding hotel reservations.
Additional information and questions regarding this course may be forwarded to either Thomas Demchuk (email@example.com)